tarot_scholar: An image of Norman Rockwell's interpretation of Rosie the Riveter (Rosie)
[personal profile] tarot_scholar
A friend of mine alerted me to the existence of The Ghetto Tarot, and I wanted to share it here.



I love the idea of photographic Tarot decks, especially updated or just new interpretations of the iconic images. I love the idea, but the execution so far has been lacking. Things got one step closer with Alice Smeets's The Ghetto Tarot, a collaborative fundraising art project. I encourage you to read more about the project at the above IndieGoGo link.

The Afro-Caribbean milieu of this project is certainly appropriate, given Pamela Colman-Smith's own heritage; I haven't seen all of the images yet but I can say already that I particularly love Death and The Sun, as they are less literal recreations of Colman-Smith's plateaus and more a portrait of Haiti, Haitians, and Port-au-Prince themselves.



Death




The Sun

I admit to liking the simple recreations less than these images, but I still love Smeets's collaboration with Haitian artists on this, and the fact that the profits from the deck will go to them. Tarot and art as a force for good in the world. Plus, sometimes the literal recreations actually work out well, like in The Moon and the 3 of Swords.



The Moon




The 3 of Swords

Others work because the Colman-Smith's original artwork was striking and made for a well-composed photo. Yet somehow, the impression is starker when it's a photograph. Take the 9 of Swords, one of my favorite cards (in terms of aesthetic, not in terms of divinatory meaning. Obviously!)



9 of Swords

I don't know if I'm going to buy a copy of this deck yet, or if I'm going to opt for a poster print. I know already that I probably wouldn't use this deck much to read, but some of these photographs are just too beautiful to pass up. Besides, it's for a good cause.

Date: 2015-04-29 04:40 pm (UTC)
jenny_evergreen: (Jenny 11)
From: [personal profile] jenny_evergreen
Very cool!

Date: 2015-05-30 03:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tarot-scholar.livejournal.com
A month later and I still love it!

Profile

tarot_scholar: A purple and gold loop against a glowing green background. (Default)
tarot_scholar

April 2019

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14 151617181920
2122 2324252627
282930    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 19th, 2026 03:38 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios